Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Windy Sunday made both me and my garden cranky, but yesterday was a better day

Most of the transplants survived the wind we had the other day and yesterday's calm weather gave them an opportunity to recoup and settle in.  The summer squash and cucumbers especially took a beating but might be OK.  I planted extra seeds next to the plants just in case. 

This is a White Scallop summer squash, an heirloom variety that I recieved for my birthday last year. Because this plant went into the ground just a couple of days ago I cut the blossoms off so the plant can put all its energy into root production.  It's hard to remove blossoms but plants produce more and better when root systems are strong.  And bonus...the blossoms were really tasty chopped and sauteed with scrambled eggs

Here's a wishful thinking crop that I fully expect to fail in this region....fava beans.  Why do I expect them to fail?  Fava beans, or broad beans, require a 120-day growing season; ours is 90-days.  Why do I hold out hope that this might work?  I've read (though not actually experienced) that fava plants are frost tolerant to a certain degree so perhaps our frosty days will count as growing season days. Why do I insist on trying to grow them?  Because I love fava beans and I don't mind failing.  Everything I learn this year, through success or failure, will improve my skills next year. And the blossoms are beautiful!

This is a pic of our Nyagous tomato, an heirloom variety purchased from Seed Savers Exchange.  We grew these for the first time last year and had some success.  The single plant didn't produce a huge crop but the mature tomatoes are beautiful and the taste is fantastic.  We're off to a better start this year so I hope to get a bigger crop in 2010.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 CC&R Farm. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase